Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sichuan Earthquake Relief





I am sharing with you some photos and links that I got from a friend in China. As you know I have been over there a lot and although no one I know directly was hurt by this there are family members that have been affected by this. Here is the email and I DO NOT take credit for the photos...but want to share them.

"I was going to write a long sobbing email asking for your help before I realized that my words would be pale in comparison to these photos taken from a make-shift hospital from a town in Sichuan. Remember that this town is NOT the epic center, I can't imagine what that would look like.

I've attached some less gruesome photos with this email, there are a lot more here, please take a look (warning: not for the faint-hearted):

http://bbs.city.tianya.cn/new/tianyacity/Content.asp?idWriter=16661580&Key=277877630&idItem=63&idArticle=597833&page_num=1


I guess this earthquake really hit me because the proximity to my home. Couple provinces over, these people lying on the cold concrete parking lot could be my grandparents, my aunts, and my nephews. The truth is that I've seen photos of hungry African children before, I cringed, I sighed, and clicked on "next article". However sad it is, people care more about things closer to them. Therefore I figured you guys are probably more attached to this disaster and are more willing to help. If you are looking to contribute to the current disaster relief effort, the Red Cross China has published the account information to receive donations, please follow this link:

http://shanghaiist.com/2008/05/13/red_cross_society_earthquake_sichuan.php

Please note "Sichuan earthquake donations" /"四川地震捐款" when you make the donations. The Red Cross is also accepting blankets and tents. Every little bit counts.

No comments: