Wednesday, August 13, 2008

People of Beijing

As I have been here now four times in the past year, I have seen nothing but friendly people here. It saddened me, as it did many others at the news of the stabbing of the American downtown Beijing. I saw this article this AM that is posted on the KSL site by TK. I was at the site of the stabbing the day before and as I walked the crowds with the locals on the day of Opening Ceremonies folks continued to be friendly as I have talked about earlier on the blog with the kids on the train and the respect that the younger ones have for their elders.

As I have seen on my many Olympics in the past whenever I go out of the Olympic venues one puts their credential away and walks with a purpose. Not saying that these folks were not...as I think they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Our thoughts and prayers are with them as they are recovering and as TK indicated in the article they took some steps today or yesterday depending on where you are.

The Chinesse people are a very proud people. The Spanish Basketball team, invited to play in the Games took some promotional pictures for their local Beijing Sponsor and they all made some racist movements with their hands. I am sure you can find more about it by searching on Spain Basketball Team Picture.

There has also been discussion about who sang the song and the fireworks. Yes...somethings were done prior to the Ceremonies but just think about getting 28 plus footprints to work. It is done all the time.

The whole reason for this post is to let all of you reading it around the world that the Chinesse are great. They have been helpful and friendly and want to be a part of the good of the Games. As invited guests here we should be respectful of their country and culture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We totally agree with you about the Chinese people. we loved our time with them and would be my favorite palce to visit again. Thanks for all your blog stuff - J