Friday, August 22, 2008

Reflections As Beijing Comes to a Close

As I put this post together it is a reflective post both literally and in pictures. I took all of them but one as I saw many things around the Beijing Games. Some of these are the flame reflecting off buildings or buildings reflecting off buildings or buildings reflecting off water and the likes.

Beijing has been good to the people that came here to work. Some that I talked with were pleasantly surprised about the friendliness of the people and more. Many enjoyed seeing some of the world's landmarks and historical places. Athens and Beijing have been good for that type of stuff. They have been around for a long time.

Although there is some contention on the age of the Chinese Gymnastic Girls....all else has been run well. Yes, there is always lots of stuff going on behind the scenes to make things work well for all in the world to see. It has been good to work with the locals, as well as the United Nations {those of us that do this regularly from other lands} folks that are always around for the Games. We had good team work for the most part so that the world could see China.


It was sad that this huge Olympic Green is only open to ticket holders during the Games. There are so many yearning Chinese that have come to see this place and it you can only get into the Green with a ticket for an event in the Green.

The Chinese have made transport to and from the venues easier. We go from 'clean to clean' meaning that the doors on the bus do not open until we get at the venue and so we don't have to go through magandbag but once a day...on the way to the venue. We did magandbad once checking into the village. Obviously if we went out of the village to some non-venue place we had to do magandbag again.

All the buses during the Olympics must have that speed limiting thing installed since April when I was here last. No matter what road you are on, freeway or street, the driver can only go 40. None of them have tutted their horns well until yesterday. I got on a bus to go to Workers Stadium, closest stop to YaShow Market, and the lady bus driver tooted and gunned it and more. She was a normal Chinese driver in my book. All the other times I have visited here in the last 18 months drivers toot and make four lanes out of two. Not during the Olympics. The politeness has come into play.

The Chinese people were admonished on local TV to not spit and pee and such in the streets and they have done a good job. There are still little kids that squat and drop but that is because that is what they know. There are a lot less cars but that is because they went to odd and

Most of the Chinese are very friendly and try and talk English with you. They know more English than I do Chinese. On some of the rainy days I would go out and walk to the canteen and quack like a duck. I told the runners that I was 'Peking Duck.' A lot of them wanted to take pictures last night with Peking Duck. I was the Duck and they were the Rabbit.

Some of the crew got out to some of the streets outside the forbidden city and met a lot of locals. They were taken in and shown their 'hutons.' These people were very proud of what they live in, although in Western standards it is not much. There are a lot of people that have sacrificed a lot for the Games. Some of the local security and ushers and such all have lived in make shift housing here in the Green in cabins that have bunks and such in them. They are very proud of their land.

The runners and such working for BOB have done a great job and feel this is a good thing for them. They have made a good deal of money in their minds, which is very important to them, but they have also had a lot of fun. They have been hard at work. Yes I am sure we can all find things to complain about but those things also happen in everyday life.

There was lots of history made here in the Games from Swimming to Athletics to other sports. Most of the time it was fair play. It is sad when people, athletes or officials, try and change the outcome through other means.

I know if others spent like I spent we helped the Chinese GDP this month well maybe not the reported GDP since most transactions are cash based, but the inflow of money to the economy was up this month.

20 years ago now I was on my way home from Korea after the Games in Seoul. I was met at the Seattle Airport by my lovely cousin Jennifer. We had a good chat and said good bye.
That was a long time ago and many great things have happened since but as you have seen by some of the posts a lot of stay in touch and have reunions every two years. That is cool. Friends are made and kept.
In a couple of days, I get to fly home and be with my family. 19 years ago I married a friend and now she is my best friend. We have 5 wonderful children and have been able to see the world with work and have the family with me some of the time. They are strong. To let their pops go for a 3 week period here or there is hard, but they are the best kids in the world and I love them and my best friend.



Should the Games have been awarded to China? Yes. They have done a great job.

No comments: